Topband: Loop question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Loop question
From: KJ0M <kj0m@mchsi.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 09:00:51 -0600
I'm thinking through the improvement of my antennas here for 80/160 and would like a little bit of advice.

I'm currently using a quarter wave sloper off the top of my 72 foot retractable tower. It works fairly well and has allowed me to attain a 5BWAZ and 5BDXCC over the years. I've also managed to garner 34 countries on 160 meters, although I've never really put a lot of effort into that band. The noise is pretty bad with this antenna. I've been reading lots of interesting tales on this reflector, so I'd like to change my antennas here. In the next few years, 160/80 meters is going to be the place to be, I think.

I am in the process of building a BC trapper antenna which I am going to suspend from a catenary wire running from my tower to a rooftop tripod on my house. I have great hopes for this as a transmitting antenna. It gets pretty good reviews and I think in my situation, it would work quite well for TX, especially if I lay down 30 or so radials.

The problem comes on receive. I know how noisy my sloper can be on 160/80 meters and I'm certain the BC trapper will be just as bad.

I am on a small lot and don't have the room for a Beverage so I've really given some thought to a 4 way K9AY loop. The problem lies in not being able to get more than about 50 feet away from the TX antenna. Also, my house is covered in steel siding, which will also blow the pattern of the loops. I understand that. The house siding is going to cause a big problem with the pattern.

What I'm wondering is this. Would the loops make good listening antennas even though they wouldn't have the nice cardioid pattern shown by the K9AY loop? What I am looking for is a nice quiet listening antenna to go along with the BC trapper and loops seem to be the way to go on a small lot except for the interaction problems throwing the pattern off.

With a preamp, will the K9AY loop, or any type of loop for that matter, be a good listening antenna in my case or am I better off just suffering with the noise on the vertical?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

de KJ0M
Jim
._._.