Re: Topband: Beverage on ground

To: Paul DeWitte K9OT <k9ot@mhtc.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage on ground
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 07:30:49 -0800 (PST)
Paul,

If you wind your own transformers, it's nice to measure the actual impedance
and match it. However, after measuring the same Beverage wire at heights
ranging from zero to several feet over very good ground, it was obvious to me
that you don't need to worry about it except as an exercise in techincal
excellence!

A bigger concern is that the cows will drag the wire around the pasture the
first time they walk over it. That's what happened here anyway.

Does your pasture have a real fence or do you use a hot wire? If you have a
real fence, I suggest you get a fence charger and hot wire the supports. Run it
when you are not operating. The cows will not mess with the hot wired supports
for several hours at least after you turn it off, giving you enoug time to
operate. If you already have an electric fence, just run a littel extra wire
where needed.

I have put all my Beverage supports at fence lines across the sub-divided
pasture and run a couple loops of hot wire around the plastic pipe supports.
Now the only problem I have is the termination grounds. Still working on that
problem here.

73,

Larry - W7IUV

Paul DeWitte K9OT <k9ot@mhtc.net> wrote:
Because my beverages go through my pasture and get knocked down by the
animals (and broke). I have decided to try laying the wire on the ground and
hope for the best (getting drug around etc).
For the people that use this or have tried this, do I need a different
matching transformer? How about termination? What if I chose not to
terminate it, will that degrade it very much?

Thanks 73 Paul K9OT