Topband: ARRL 160M Contest Results

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ARRL 160M Contest Results
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 22:58:59 -0600
The ARRL has asked me to do the write-up on the ARRL 160M contest results this
year.  I would like to solicit some help from topbanders around the world.

The actual QST article is very limited in scope.  But the web resources and
related web report are virtually (no pun intended) unlimited in size and scope.
 Generating more interest in this particular contest is one of my goals for
this year's article.  As part of this goal, I want to prepare a side-bar
article describing some of the equipment used by successful topband stations
around the globe.

There are loads of hams itching to get on topband.  They have the electronics
but are often real estate challenged.  Many have some space available.  Still
others have lots of space.  I would like to collect some pictures and
descriptions of 160M station equipment.  As we slide into the sun spot doldrums
of the coming few years, generating interest in topband will help keep interest
in ham radio.  Activity is good.

I'd like to illustrate a good sampling of successful styles and methods of
topband antenna hardware.  Not everyone will be able to put up a full-sized
4-square, but describing one or two variations on that theme would be good.
And loading an 8' whip may not be worth the trouble.  But there are a dozen
sizes and styles of antennas in between.  Different receive antenna methods
would be good to describe too.  If you have or can take some pictures, send me
a note that you are willing to help and describe the station you use.  I can
let you know, in more detail, schedules and picture formats, etc., via direct
email.

Thanks for the help.

Ford-N0FP
N0FP@ARRL.NET