Re: Topband: 3B9C, #190 with 100 Watts

To: k1htv@verizon.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 3B9C, #190 with 100 Watts
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:32:23 EST
Here in very noisy NNJ with a small lot I agree with K1HTV's guidance here
except I'd add that when using the big tx antenna on rx I don't use the max
ceramic filtering but tighten the selectivity wiht the passband controls
(TS850)
as the ringing associated with the 500 and 270 hz filters with such high
intensity noise degrades the S/N ratio worse than using the SSB filtering with
very
tight passband settings.  Sometimes I can use the 500Hz hi IF filter while
using the SSB low filter - depends on how high the local crud level..
Thankfully
here for the past 6 weeks the local crud is fairly low save for an
occassional bad day so I can copy the DX well on the Inv L.  DF2PY, IV3PRK and
SV3RF
were like locals last night - Wolf was actually S9+20.

In a message dated 3/26/2004 9:15:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,