Topband: Re: Weird noises on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>, <Dxhogg@aol.com>, <W8JI@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Weird noises on 160
From: "Jim Monahan" <K1PX@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:23:56 -0500
Tom, W8JI wrote:

"ALL cable and wiring ground wires entering a dwelling must have a common
point ground, otherwise you have a real fire and personal safety hazard.

73 Tom"

To take this a step further, I've been having a problem with intermittent line
noise
that the local utility is investigating and have found a suspect pole
transformer.

Based on Tom's comments, I went outside and determined that the phone, cable
and power box share a common ground to a pipe that has a ground rod at each
end.

To my dismay, I've discovered, with an ohm meter, that electrically nothing is
connected
to each other because all of the connections are quite rusty. I scrapped the
metal at
various appropriate points to take readings.

They have never been checked before as long as I've lived here (14 years).

While these connections were painted originally, that coating has long since
gone away.

This will be corrected immediately as soon as the utility returns to pull the
meter so it can
be repaired properly. And, this includes replacing the existing rods.

The only ground system for my house, apparently, are the solid copper ground
rods for my
station which I check annually. They are covered with RTV and it really
protects them
from degradation.

73, Jim, K1PX

K1PX@msn.com<mailto:K1PX@msn.com>