RE: Topband: SteppIR for Tophat?

To: "'Earl W Cunningham'" <k6se@juno.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: SteppIR for Tophat?
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 19:13:57 -0400

> I've been wondering the same thing myself.  It depends on if
> the centers of the parasitic elements are grounded to the boom
> or not.
>
> In either case, for maximum top loading the SteppIR antenna
> would have to be set for its lowest frequency.

>From what I saw when they were in Orlando, the elements are not
grounded ... other than the driven element which is connected
the balun/unun and the coax shield.

You might ask them  how to ground the parasitic elements since
they do use the same housing, etc. for the verticals.

> A friend uses a roof-mounted SteppIR vertical for 40-10m with
> three radials for each band and works lots of DX with it but
> unfortunately they don't have a model to cover 80 and 160m.

They are supposedly working on a version with switched coils
for 80 meters (haven't heard about 160).

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK