Re: Topband: phase

To: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>, <jimjarvis@ieee.org>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: phase
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:25:04 -0400
> Like Tom, I have only occasionally seen improvements in readability using
> true diversity reception on a single signal.

That's not what I said or meant to imply.

I don't see an improvement with close-spaced antennas even if they are
dissimilar on 160 or 80.

I hear a very large difference when the antennas are a few thousand feet
apart and that is very consistent. As a matter of fact, I would never be
without stereo and split antennas!

Without the wide spacing, then stereo makes no difference at all that I can
notice. I'm better off using one receiver.

Keep in mind I have phase-locked receivers with nearly identical left and
right channel processing. It does not work this way with dissimilar
receivers or unlocked channels.

By the way, you can't mix the channels into mono on skywave signals from
separate antennas with wide spacing or dissimilar antennas with close
spacing. Doing so actually increases fading. The result of combining after
the receiver is the same as combining at an RF point.

73 Tom