Topband: [Fwd: RE: YA8G]

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: [Fwd: RE: YA8G]
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:49:03 -0400
Several stations including VE1ZZ worked YA8G last night during the short period after his city power came on. He will be on at 0015 on 1814.3 and QSX up on 1.816 until his local sunrise which gives a 30 to 45 minute window of opportunity. Johnny has a great web site with on line logs which can be accessed by putting YA8G in your search. Johhny talks about also getting on earlier by mentioning 0430 his local time. I am not sure what this equates to in GMT but could mean a couple of hours earlier. If I recall the former Taliban government created their own solar time zone. (It was noon when the sun was directly over the mosque in Kabul.) I don't know if this has been changed or not.

Last night the best path for me was not NE (direct path) but rather ESE which may indicate some sort of terminator skewing near his sunrise.

Good Luck,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

Herb,

Please see the extract from my log (adif-format) this morning:

<call:5>KV4FZ<qso_date:8:d>20040418<time_on:6>004216
<band:4>160M<mode:2>CW<rst_sent:3>559

So you got into my top band log as #4 from NA !! I tried to start around 0015UTC,
but didn't have city power until 0030UTC. Just try to imagine the frustration when
you sit and wait for the local guys to turn on the big button :-)

I'm not able to get up 0430 local time every morning (have a job to take care of),
but will do my best.

73 es CUL,
Johnny - YA8G