Re: Topband: Field Day

To: "a Topband eList" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Field Day
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:27:01 -0500
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:10:22 -0300, ChetMoore wrote:

>Field day while treated like a contest by big clubs and many smaller ones
>allows stations to work each other only one time during the contest period.
>Not one time per band.

I think you're confusing the Sweepstakes rules with Field Day rules. On
Field Day, CW and phone are considered separate bands, and another
station can we worked once per band. So hitting 160 for a couple of
hours could conceivably provide a good alternative to 80 and 40. Note
that during some recent winter contests, 20 has shut down (for QSO's
within North America) as early as 7-8 pm, and 40 has sometimes closed
by 9 pm. Things certainly change with the seasons, but I think a
successful FD effort for more than 2A ought to have a plan for what to
do if 40 shuts down.

Your logic is certainly right on for SS, but not for Field Day. An
examination of the SS scores (on the ARRL website) shows not a single
contact on 160.

Jim  K9YC