RE: Topband:mode separation...small stndx oppty

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>,"Gary Nichols" <kd9sv@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Topband:mode separation...small stndx oppty
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:19:45 -0500
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:05:47 -0500, Gary Nichols wrote:

>Perhaps BC stations are part of the problem at your location.
>Sometimes just adding a simple bandpass filter in line with your receiving
>antenna

Yes, I did exactly that, and the noise level dropped a bit (perhaps an
S-unit) in parts of the band. But the frequency-variable noise is
clearly coming from some un-intentional radiators.  At least one of
which covers a pretty wide area -- another ham about 10 miles from me
hears it too -- it's some broadband modulated stuff centered around
1990 or so.  There's another broad peak around the DX window (and it
isn't DX). :)

At a SMPTE meeting last week, I was talking about this with some hams
who also work in broadband and in broadcasting. One of them suggested
that DSL might be responsible for some trash on 160. Any thoughts on
this?  I don't have DSL myself -- I use a cable modem, with its own
(much higher frequency) set of problems.

Jim K9YC