Topband: PSK31 DXing from EU

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: PSK31 DXing from EU
From: "Phil Catterall G4OBK" <g4obk@philcatterall.plus.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 07:37:05 +0100
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>snip
I was advised by a G3 on the PSK reflector that
Europe doesn't have allocation below 1810, thus
rendering the ARRL bandplan inoperative for weak
signal dx work on psk.

Can anyone on here confirm that?  Is it true only
for the UK, or for the continent and Scandanavia as
well?

The G also advised that there was european PSK activity
on 1838.15.  Has anyone heard it?  Perhaps it's all qrp,
with unworkably small antennas?

N2EA
jimjarvis@ieee.org

Hi Jim,

No that's not quite right. Whilst I am not much in favour of using PSK on
160m for working intercontinental because of the possibility of polluting a
fairly wide section of the DX section of the band, EU stations have used it
to work DX. Mike VK6HD for one, has worked a number EU stations on or around
1838 KHz in PSK31. I worked Mike on that mode and confess to running my
linear (Acom 1000) at around the 300w level to make a QSO.....it was still a
bit of a struggle to get the 469 report from Mike and I gave him a 439 back.
I would have expected 579 both ways I guess, if we had been on CW! Not
something I want to make a habit of but for a one-off QSO it was fun!

I have had other QSOs around EU with DL, YU etc at the normal power levels
used for the mode, around 50w with perfect print.

Yes, we are not allowed to run below 1810 KHz here and I recall during the
last winter chomping at the bit when one of the rarer Caribbean stations I
needed came on 1808 KHz at 579 in either of the two CQ Contests and I
couldn't call him.

73 Phil

Phil Catterall (G4OBK, GD4OBK, GM4OBK,
                      SV5/G4OBK, SV9/G4OBK)