Re: Topband: PSK-31

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: PSK-31
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:34:09 -0700
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:10:11 -0700, Michael Tope wrote:

>I am not sure why more people aren't using MFSK16.

I can shed some light on that.

In one of the biggest blunders in recent memory, when MFSK16 was
introduced its author recommended using a frequency in the 20 meter band
- 14080 - which had been a traditional RTTY DX frequency for years if
not decades.  After many emails and many hard feelings the author
finally backed off a little, but not entirely, recommending that each
station be aware of the band plans for his country.  The suggestion was
made to change his recommendation to 14090, but he refused.

A lot of RTTY ops, including myself, still have a bad taste in the mouth
from this completely needless mistake and even worse, the refusal to
admit it and suggest an alternative frequency.

I run several other digital modes, but not MFSK16.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW