Re: Topband: RX antennas

To: <W2pm@aol.com>, <jimjarvis@ieee.org>, <topband@contesting.com>,<sm5dqc@areteadsl.se>
Subject: Re: Topband: RX antennas
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 15:48:58 -0700
> jimjarvis@comcast.net writes:
> Your friend is right about the coax loop vs. simple inverted vee.
> Except, of course, the ability to get a null.
> I agree with all the comments about the coax "magnetic" loop limitations
but
> it can still be quite effective in allowing DX qso's especially from a
noise
> compromised environment like a suburban neighborhood. I have Pennants and
Flags
> here which work well and a magnetic loop - Ive worked VK6 with the mag
loop
> and countless Euros when I could'nt hear them as well with the other low
noise
> antennas on certain mornings or evenings.. I'd say the mag loop is
effective
> this way less than 50% of the time but in a 160 unfriendly place I think
one
> need several noise antennas - i.e. all the help you can get...  you'll
hear
> nearly as well as JI but you'll hear none the less some stuff...

When I was still back in college in Ohio, I shunt-fed my
grandmother's TV tower for 160. I had an A3 tribander on top,
along with an 80 meter dipole, and a 40 meter inverted-vee.
Quite by accident I discovered that the 40 meter inverted-vee
was an excellent topband receiving antenna, but only if the
coax running to the 160 meter shunt-feed was shorted-out in
the shack by the BW coax switch which shorted its unused
inputs (this must have detuned the tower). The inverted-vee
routinely delivered a 10dB SNR improvement on topband
signals, and no it wasn't intercept point related. I had a step
attenuator in front of my R-4C which allowed my to switch
in any amount of attenuation between the TX antenna and
the receiver. The inverted-vee clearly delivered an SNR
improvement. I wish I could claim that this was based on
some brilliant engineering insight on my part, but in truth it
came about totally by accident :). I can still remember the
thrill of listening to UG6GAW's Q5 signals on that inverted-vee
while at the same time he was barely readible on the TX
antenna.

Seems that it is true that you can never have too many
antennas.