RE: Topband: Rx antennas

To: "'Topband Reflector'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Rx antennas
From: "Chuck Hutton" <charlesh3@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 08:01:16 -0700
My experience is the opposite! I had 2 phased arrays of Beverages up for 15
years, one antenna being 1900' and the other 2300' and were used mostly for
DX on the MW broadcast band. Separation between the two wires of each
antenna was approximately 100'.

I found there was almost always a sort of smoothing of the received signal
versus the signal received by T's, inverted L's, and any other non-Beverage
I had around. Sorry, I have no science to back me up here; no strip charts,
no mathematical analysis. I attributed the lack of fading at least partially
to spatial diversity.

If memory serves me, the honorable Dr. Beverage himself discussed this
subject in his 1923 AIEE paper and felt there was a reduction of fading.

Chuck
WD4ELO