Topband: S9SS Reprieve

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: S9SS Reprieve
From: charles Lewis <s9ss160m@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 08:07:50 -0700 (PDT)
My two year assignment as station manager of the IBB Sao Tome Transmitting
Station (a.k.a. Voice of America) officially ended April 29.  I have just
received the good news that my request for an extension has been granted, so my
new official tour end date is April 29, 2005.  I think now there is a good
chance I can get a second extension to take me into 2006, because after this
first extension there will not be sufficient time for me to serve a full two
year tour elsewhere.  I reach mandatory Foreign Service retirement age when I
turn 65 on February 14, 2007.  It's even possible I might be given and
additional part year extension and stay active on Top Band through December of
2006.

Maybe the declining sunspot numbers will perk the band up enough for me to hear
some of those of you who have not yet been successful in breaking through my
high QRN barrier.  As S92SS, my best receiving conditions were in my final
year, 1996/1997.  That's when K1HTV finally managed to break through with his
100 watts.  BTW, I enjoyed a brief "eyeball" with Rich in his office at IBB
headquarters in DC last week.

I had wonderful evening with W3YY and XYL in their home yesterday.  Bob has an
enviable four acre hilltop QTH in the Virginia countryside for DXing.  He has
logged me on nine bands with no skeds.

I am headed back to Sao Tome after two weeks in DC.  It was my first visit to
our Washington headquarters since '97!

73,
Charles - S9SS