Topband: SGC-230 on 160m (G4PUQ@aol.com)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: SGC-230 on 160m (G4PUQ@aol.com)
From: Tom Norris <r390a@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 21:41:52 -0500
Peter, I had problems with "drift" on my SG-230
despite all the radials and grounding and such,
and found the only way I could use it on 160
was to build a "smart lock" circuit. Initially
it would match fine, then would "hunt" after
I transmitted for a while - the Smart Lock
keeps it from tuning once you have found a
good match. The sgcworld.com website has
a schematic in case you want to build one,
it is quite simple.

73

Tom NU4G

From: G4PUQ@aol.com Precedence: list Subject: Topband: Advice please? SGC-230 on 160m Cc: Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 06:53:55 EDT To: sgci@yahoogroups.com, topband@contesting.com Message-ID: <15a.36510c22.2dec68c3@aol.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" MIME-Version: 1.0 Message: 1

I recently picked up a SGC 230 smart tuner and have installed it at the base
of my inverted L. The 230 has proven to be just as versatile as all the
comments I read had indicated it would be. I am really do want to push up my 160m
tally later in the year but I also want to (need to) retain the one wire
antenna to work on 30m/17m/12m

The only band which I have difficulty tuning is 160m, observing the SWR/Fwd
meter on my Corsair II suggests that the tuner is constantly hunting looking
for a good match.

I plan to upgrade my inv L in terms of vertical height and ground/radials
during the summer months and would welcome any feedback, suggestions, ideas,
balun arrangements, radial attachments or experiences using the 230,

thanks and 73, cu on warc bands or 160

de Peter G4PUQ