[Fwd: Re: Topband: 160 vertical advice needed]

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Topband: 160 vertical advice needed]
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 08:04:58 -0400

Dan Levin wrote:

1)       I will build a 74' vertical out of ~46' of Rohn pushup mast topped
with ~28' of aluminum stinger.

2)       Add three our four top hat wires at the 60' level to both guy the
stinger and resonate the antenna.

Dan,

There is no problem with a 4 wire capacity hat but it should never be attached below the stinger. It makes the stinger useless. If you run capacity hat wires as guy wires be very careful, since they slope back down to the ground, not to make the longer than 20-25 feet or else unwanted cancellation may occur. If you break up the guy/capacitance 4 wire hat at 25 feet with insulators and add a perimeter wire all the way around connecting all the insulators on the tower side will increase the radiation resistance at the tower base. Also remember to use good quality insulators or Phylistran guy from this point down since the voltage is high at the junction. Also try to avoid acute guying angles. 45 degrees is OK but less than this is going the wrong direction. You can actually see the radiation resistance go up as the angle of declivity is decreased.

Also try to get at least 4 to 8 1/4 wave radials along with the other wires on the ground. I uses inexpensive THN #14 electrical on laying on the ground here.

Hope this well help you

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ
St. Croix, VI