Re: Topband: Tophat? Does it have to be at the top?

To: w8ji@contesting.com, k6se@juno.com, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com,mike.harris@horizon.co.fk, topband@contesting.com, jz73@verizon.net
Subject: Re: Topband: Tophat? Does it have to be at the top?
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:19:41 +0000

There are very few hats that 100% stop all current beyond
the hat, since it is really an impedance ratio problem and
the hat is almost never near zero impedance and the area
above the hat almost never near infinite impedance. Adding a
hat can do about anything from the range of positive to
negative effects depending on many separate issues.

I recall reading that a sphere makes more effective top loading than a simple disc shaped top hat. Although I have never tried it, I have often wondered if you would get any improvement over a top hat at the very top of the vertical by fabricating something in the form of a geodesic sphere, using wires and horizontal arms attached to the vertical element. Naturally, an 8' diameter sphere would take up the top 8' of vertical element.

-k4kyv