Re: Topband: 1/2 Mile Super Loop?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 1/2 Mile Super Loop?
From: "Brian Campbell" <VY2MGY@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 05:38:46 -0400
Thanks for all of the replies [ 28 ] and interest in this proposed project.

Most, if not all, of the responses indicated that it would be no good for
160M DX.
Perhaps I should have gone into a little more detail in my original email,
as I am planning on using it only for Domestic 1.8 Mhz Contest Contacts,
meaning
North American, which, I think, it should be at least equal to, if not
better
than, my present 540' loop [ at 40' ] which, believe it or not, will usually
beat
my Inverted L at 70' [ with 100+  1/4 wave radials ] out to about 500 - 800
miles,
most of the time, that is most, but not all, of the time. After about 800
miles nothing
has ever come close to the Inverted L [ and probably never will ].

However my current 540' loop works very well on HF [ 40M - 10M ] and I was
thinking
that a "supersized" version could be a very good DX performer [ as wire
antennas go ]
on the HF bands where 70'- 90' would be a wavelength and more on the upper
bands.

I will have to get the latest version of EZNEC to see what the best
configuration of
length of each side, heighth above ground, input impedance etc. etc., is for
each band,  so no
one band is favored, or repressed,  more so than another.

Everyone who had used something similiar was very happy with the DX
performance on the
higher HF bands.

So I guess I'm off to buy a sling shot or a bow and arrow....

73 Brian
VE3MGY