Topband: Twisted Pair Telephone wire for Bi-Beverage

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Twisted Pair Telephone wire for Bi-Beverage
From: "Walter Schulz" <k3oqf@localnet.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:35:25 -0400
Dear Gentleman,
Twisted pair use for Beverage Antenna requiring a balance open wire line is not
exactly a great idea. In telephone work the tip and ring conductors are twisted
to prevent crosstalk. Also you should be aware that the maximum bandwidth in
this configuration is about 19 KC unloaded. Therefore, because of the shunt
capacitance on high frequencies the radio frequencies would be attenuated
greatly.

My suggestion is to un-twist the wire pair making two single wires. It will
work alot better in that configuration. I would also suggest using a single
wire Beverage with the appropiate matching transformer at each end of the
antenna. Feeding each antenna end with coaxial cable, connecting one end to the
radio receiver while terminating the other end with the appropiate resistance.
Wishing to change reception direction simply reverse the connections.

Two wire Beverages work, but there are alway problems with the matching
transformers windings being balanced. If you do not have lab equipment to check
on balance and few other things the results are not that good.

I worked for the telephone company here in states, television transmission via
microwave and office information systems during my last 9 years with the BTC. I
had a total of 30years before retiring. then I went back out to sea as radio
officer VQ9 land. I been doing this stuff for awhile.

W8JI's Tom's web site has alot of good information about Beverages, if you
follow his suggestions you cannot go wrong. Also, trying looking at W3LPL and
the Yankee Clipper Club's website.  I would strongly suggest since you are in
Europe, contacting Peter DL2NBU or Uli DL2YA I think you will find their views
on Beverages very interesting.

Hope this will help you, Good Luck.

Rgds,
Walter   sends.....