Topband: Re: twisted pair

To: "Ulrich Weiss" <dj2ya@t-online.de>
Subject: Topband: Re: twisted pair
From: "Walter Schulz" <k3oqf@localnet.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:26:35 -0400
Ga Uli,
Good to hear from you. If I am able will scan a page from one of my telephone
books about twisted pair, I'll send it. It may prove to be helpful. It's the
shunt capacitance between the two conductors that causes the attenuation. You
have the same problem any time one exceeds the bandwidth of the cable  design
specifications. Telephone transmission requires 3 Kc bandwidth, anything passed
that limit of 3 Kcs requires conditioning, which means the cable must be
equalized on the high frequency end limit. Bare twisted pair , no conditioning
will have a bandwidth of 19-20 kcs with loss. When we equalize we knock the low
frequencies down to the same level as the high frequency energy amplitude. This
maybe done in a number of ways. Resistance, capacitance, etc...or loading coils
in series with the twisted pairs. ...Why do we want a equalized transmission
line??? To transmit voice or radio programs from the studio to the transmitter
location we want the line to have the same characteristics as the voice or
music being transmitted as their were in the studio over the transmission
facilities.... Therefore all the frequencies from the very low ones 100 cps as
an example to 15 kcs, we want all of them to have the same amplitude level, we
want the response to be flat. Radio loops as the BTC (BELL Telephone Co.) calls
them all must be flat. Especially, if a Stereo Radio Loop, so we equalize all
the frequencies......Now many times transmission of data stream are transmitted
over twisted pair, we have the same problems as in audio transmission. However,
we must deal with other serious impairments during transmission, jitter, phase
distorting, amplitude distortion, etc.....data transmission is much more
demanding. Conditioning on data lines are much more
expensive....too....Television is even worst....BTC used WE754 balance 124 ohm
cable.....and lead cable having the same characteristic impedance....video
conditioning is from at least 500 kcs to 6 Mcs. It has to be withing +/-0.1DB
over the entire bandwidth. Intially, WE (Western Electric) started with A2A
tube amplifiers which had large equalizers and then GE came out with solid
state video conditioners.....All this was done employing analog
techniques...which nowadays are being supplanted by ditigal and lightguide,
equalization is no longer a problem. Light guide has the largest bandwidth and
now they use multi-mode light transmission, similar to mode theory as used in
microwave wave guides......Digital technques allow better bandwidth usage
depending on the speed of transmission.....It was also very interesting upon
using microwave to transmit video and audio together and meeting the same
specifications for equalization on land line, here it also depended on the
tuning of the Klystron.....later replaced with solid state oscillators.
Well, enough of the short history lesson on transmission....
I will catch up with you later....and I am probably going to send this out to
the reflector, since everybody thinks the telephone company is just
telephones.....
Best Regards,
Walter