Re: Topband: Beverage performance variations from season to season

To: "Ted Demopoulos, KT1V" <kt1v@demop.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage performance variations from season to season
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:05:08 -0700 (PDT)
Ted,

Yes, I have. And I have been unable to explain the variations either.

Last season I had two short Beverages, among others, that were pointed toward
the WNW and SW. They worked great! Never had any cause to complain about
either. I had to take them down last spring and just recently re-installed them
in the same positions. This season neither one has good F/B. I've checked
everything I can think of, even to the point of using W8JI's Beverage page as a
check list, and there is nothing I can find that is wrong.

I put up a K9AY loop, full four direction system, and have been comparing it to
the Beverages. On any given day one may out hear the other. Next day it's
different. No way to predict what's gonna be better.

I phased an second Beverage, end fire, to the WNW, 8 foot spaced and 54 foot
staggered, using W8JI's crossfire method. Now the phased Beverages will out
perform the K9AY every day but they still don't have a very good F/B!

You just can't have enough RX antennas!

Larry - W7IUV

"Ted Demopoulos, KT1V" <kt1v@demop.com> wrote:

It seems the "best" RX antenna choice varies, which is not surprising, but
the variation on the clearcut "best RX ant of the year" is very surprising.
Anyone seen similar results??

73
Ted Demopoulos KT1V