Topband: old pattern repeated this cycle

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: old pattern repeated this cycle
From: "D Andersen" <w7dddd@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:57:18 -0700
Re: Observation seen by DF2PY,

Re:  Observation seen by Wolf, DF2PY,

I also saw the Big night on 80 meters.  I worked many Europeans that night.  As
I wrote Wolf, we in the west see this happening every month around the "full
moon" time.  The effect has been muted the last several years because the loss
through absorption over the aurora oval zone is a greater negative effect.
This "full moon" effect seems to have NOT been seen by stations east of me
(Arizona).  Those signals do not require propagation through the aurora zone as
we do.  Just a few DB enhancement can make the difference while the eastern
stations do not need a "few" DB.  The effect is most noticeable in the fall and
the spring when the lower aurora allows the effect.   We will see it on a more
regular schedule in the next few years (sunspot min.=lower aurora).

I have been watching and logging this since the year of 2000 and it is solid.
The question is not IF it is happening but rather WHY it is happening.  I have
had many very knowledgeable people say it is not happening when it is.  I get
the feeling that we need to go beyond school book taught knowledge on this
issue and think outside the box.   I have searched Google and find very little
on this subject.  There is a reference to it in two issues of QST written in
the 1920's.  A few hams in that era also noticed it and wrote about it.

I know that the visible energy reflected by the full moon is enough to make my
camera require an F8 setting at night.  This must demonstrate that there is
substantial sun produced energy reflected from the moon.  A couple of years ago
I brought this up and received some very informative facts pertaining to the
subject.  All of the information was that it can't be happening.  It IS
happening so I think we may be onto cutting edge knowledge here.  I think that
an open mind will be required to solve this mystery.    The world is not flat,
etc.  In my humble opinion the reflected energy is ionizing the the F layer
very slightly but there is not enough energy to ionize the D layer which causes
absorption.

Best regards to all and thanks for your time.

Don, w7dd