Re: Topband: Angle of radiation to local stations?

To: "D. Rodman, MD" <rodman@buffalo.edu>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Angle of radiation to local stations?
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:33:23 -0700
David,

Arrange for your local friends to be on the air during
the daytime (around local noon). At the time, you can
be pretty much assured that absorption will be so high
(at least at the current solar flux) that if you are hearing
them at all, it is via ground wave.

What I suspect you will find, is that you'll hear them
better at local noon on the vertical low-angle antenna,
but the signal will be down from the nighttime peak.
The other giveaway is to look for fading at night. If
you see fading then you can be pretty certain that
skywave (or some combination of skywave and
groundwave) is involved. I work local friends on 75
meters that are within 10 to 20 miles. Signals at
night are anywhere from S5 to 40 over S9 (when
80 goes long they get really weak), suggesting that
the path is dominated by NVIS propagation.

If your hearing the local guy better on a horizontal
antenna you can almost guarantee that it's via NVIS
and not groundwave.