Re: Topband: close to earth Beverage

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>, "D Andersen" <w7dddd@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: close to earth Beverage
From: "k1fz" <k1fz@prexar.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:41:29 -0500
Hello Don,

Thank you for your user input of a very low Beverage. What inspired me to build one was a spot from someone that had one up one inch above the ground. My close to ground Beverage is over uneven ground. About 1 to 1.5 feet in the center and sloping to the Earh at each end. At the time I first tried it, there was very high static crashes that can come with a solar disturbances. There was a disturbance at the time of trial. Tuning the band and trying different antennas, I found and worked Europeans. On my phased Verticals, they were barely detectable. On my normal North-East 10 foot high Beverage they were Q3.. On the very low Beverage to the North-East they were Q-5 very easy copy. The QRN static crashes went way down. Worked RA6AX 589 and SV3RF 579.
I am thinking possibly the QRN rejection was from stuff coming nearly straight down.

At the time of the test described, the signal levels from the two Beverages were about the same. A week after the event the high Beverage has more recovered signal level as one would expect..

Have you had actual experience hearing DX on the very low Beverages during the Solar QRN as I described?

Also have you noticed an increase of front to back as you went up in frequency to 10 meters?

(I am looking for first hand information input from actual , very low Beverage antenna, users.)

73
Bruce

----- Original Message ----- From: "D Andersen" <w7dddd@msn.com>