Topband: 2004 ARRL 160M Contest

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 2004 ARRL 160M Contest
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:28:24 -0600
I have been asked to once again write the QST article and web page content for
the ARRL 160M contest this coming weekend. (RULES)
http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2004/160-Meters.html  I'm told that we may
get 3 pages in QST this year!  Last year, I introduced "all-time-records" into
the results.  Check out the article, along with the line scores if you are not
an ARRL member. http://www.arrl.org/contests/results/2003/160Meter.pdf  And of
course last year's Soapbox http://www.arrl.org/contests/soapbox/?con_id=57
ARRL members can also view the Web Page results
http://www.arrl.org/members-only/contests/results/2003/160-Meters/  and of
course the scores database
http://www.arrl.org/members-only/contests/scores.html?con_id=57

160M propagation can be as fickle as 6M, you just never know until you play
radio for the duration of the contest.  Just because it sounds rough at 02:00Z
doesn't mean it won't be excellent by 06:00Z.  We are very near the peak for
160M propagation (bottom of the solar cycle).  I'm anticipating a record year
for participation.  You never know, this may be the year you get to work Alaska
along with the other 49 states.

I would like to ask those of you doing a special effort to help me.  Pictures
are always well received.  If you are trying something different that others
would find interesting, or just want to brag a bit, I'd like to help you out.
Contact me about what you have going.  No promises, but I'd like to incorporate
as much as possible--especially in the web page content.  Whatever you put into
your ARRL Soapbox is fair game as far as including your pictures and write-up
in the results.  I encourage you to use the Soapbox feature at the ARRL
website.  http://www.arrl.org/contests/soapbox/  Or contact me directly
N0FP@ARRL.NET

Although the ARRL 160M contest is considered by many to be a 'domestic'
contest, DX entities are multipliers that play a significant role in the
results by geographic location.  Part of the plan for this year is to include a
special feature about the "DX View."  It is hoped that I can find at least one
significant participant from each continent.  Who did you hear?  If in EU or
AF, how far west?  If in AU or OC, how far east?  The number of QSOs by state
would be an excellent presentation.  Who did you hear for the longest time?
Who could you hear but not hear you?  We want to hear it all as filtered
through DX ears.  I would especially like to hear from Alaska.  I have missed
AK in the 160M so many times.  I would love to work a WAS on Topband.  I am
sure I'm not alone.  Maybe 2004 is the year!

See you in the contest.

Ford-N0FP
N0FP@ARRL.NET