Topband: Conditions last weekend from here

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Conditions last weekend from here
From: "Ron vk3io" <vk3io@iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:08:13 +1100
Hello to all.

Last weekend conditions from my qth were very interesting, starting with a
great north american and central america opening the day before the contest,
signals were great, from 1115utc to 1330utc, including JA's and Europe, as you
would think, that this is a good sign for the contest.

Then first night of the contest I only had one North America qso, with VE3ZI
and I was very surprised when he answered as he was only 559 (non contest
report) and I only heard a few others from North America, who were also weak,
but we had many qso's with JA and a handfull of europe, which was pretty good.

The second night was even worse to North America and only a few JA's heard, who
we had already qso'd with so not many qso's, except for another handfull of
europeans at my sun rise.

Nothing heard on either contest night from Central or South America.

I did hear VK1KI working plenty of JA's and europe just before my sunrise on
the second day, which suggest he had the path about 200 miles north of here,
where-as I seemed to have it on the first day.

I also did hear VK9XG calling on both contest nights at about 1200 utc (579 at
his peak), but he did not hear me and I think he only had one JA qso and I also
 did hear 9N7BCC (579 at his peak) on both days, at my sunrise (1950 utc), but
he did not here me.

These "great one day, not so good the next and poor the next" episodes seem to
occur here during every contest (ARRL DX, Stew Perry, CQ 160, etc) for as many
years that I can remember.

And the there is always the odd unlucky electrical storm, wind storm, fire
storm, snow storm, flood, that approaches when you least want it, or other
family crisis ( involving  Dog, Cat, Wife, Kids) etc, etc.

It is almost as interesting, exciting and frustrating as fishing.

I look forward to the next attempt at fishing (contesting).

Cheereo, Ron

Ron