Topband: ARRL 160 test PLAYTIME

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ARRL 160 test PLAYTIME
From: "Dennis Peterson" <dennis.peterson@machlink.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 07:41:59 -0600
For what this information may be worth, I just wanted to post this
information for those operators who think 160 is a fruitless band because
large antenna and real estate are of the necessity.  Well, that is far from
the truth..................

i only have a lot space of 80'W x 128"L and a 32' ground mounted vertical
with ample radials and 1 fairly good receive antenna in a 128' long wire 30'
above ground and parallel to the 14400VAC power lines and 40' away.

I manage to work ALL STATES >>>>>   with the exception of Louisiana, Alaska,
and Kentucky

   ALL Canadian Territories >>>>>   with the exception of Northwest
Territories/Yukon

   A total of 7 DX Station  >>>>>   ZF2, VP2, 3E1, KV4, PJ2, CM6, CO8

   A total of 27 VE stations

   A total of about 18-20 hours operating somewhere around 245 QSO's (not
competing)
ONLY competing with myself to see I f I could WAS again as I did out in
Seattle as N7CKD.

Missed 3 States

Hope all had a good time during the test and I must say that this test was
one of the better band conditions for 160 that I've seen or experienced in a
long time.  The band seemed to be in excellent shape here in
IOWA.......................It seemed like a complete 360° Receive pattern
for contesting.  I normally don't hear the W6's as well from here and the
7's were strong too.  Usually during the contest period the West Coast
signals seem to be very sparse to say the least.

73's and Happy Holidays coming up

Dennis  KØCKD

---