Topband: OH5XL

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: OH5XL
From: "elstar" <elstar@elstar.fi>(by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 07:12:33 -0500

Hi All !

This is Mark OH5XL, same ob, who is preparing P5 trip.

I have created 3 ele sloper, where mutual connection makes about 33 ohm Z
per each.
This can be matched with phasing line, which is same time Q-section as
transformer.

I have published this antenna in Russian Handbook and on my firm's web site
Antenna Tips or Amateur Antenna and may be on DX_Today page sometime, all
under www.elstar.fi

I have used also one element sloper for many years. I changed over 1
element, because
some tried to make me grazy as I worked JA and PY station on same minute and
they did
not here anything.

Even one element is very good. Now my two element Delta Loop system on
elements in
skew position does not make it any better very much.
But much better for me than my 20m high GP vertical with 150 Kg wire in
ground
forming 85m SQ.

Sloper and Delta loop has quite much same. If you had sloping Delta Loop ,
you have also
very large angle for radiation and  0.1 - 4.5 Dbi  on 11 - 50 degree about.
On extended GP you may have 0.1 - 2 Dbi 15 - 25 degree, but using DC short
circuit
in the feed point and good grounding, you may have silent band and not so
much local
signals. Using Tuner in feed point you get even -20 dB less QRN too.

Usual error is sloper position. In 30m / 100 feet tower you have best to
install feed point
below 20 m or you have a lot of J+ reactance.
Also It works better on lower position than in 27 feet or so.
This is all on 80 meter, but quite same function on 160m.

If you like, I can put my three ( 3 ) element sloper into web again and do short answer as I still stay in Finland few days.

Mark OH5XL