Topband: HS72B & band conditions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: HS72B & band conditions
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 08:03:53 -0800 (PST)
This morning was not good for us NW guys. The searchlite seemed to be focused
on the SW. HS72B was heard about 449 at 1330Z here, about as early as I've ever
heard him but not nearly as strong. Except for a few short peaks, that was
about as good as it got. No sunrise peak to speak of and gone entirely about 15
mins before my sunup.

I noticed that the Kiruna Magnetogram (http://spider.irf.se/mag/) started
jumping around about 1345Z, so I guess that accounts for my weak signals after
that time.

This morning I spent some time listening to the calling frequency. Didn't hear
any northern guys in there, but the SW was well represented. Sounded like quite
a few got through!

The other day, I posed a retorical question: How much power would it take me to
get through their noise? I thought about that for a while and came up with this
comparision:

I was there when N7UA worked the HS. I was copying HS72B 559 at the time and
heard Bob get a 449. Given the antenna difference (4-square vs. single
vertical) and the QTH difference (Puget Sound vs. dry, rocky, central WA
desert) and N7UA running 1500 watts, I estimated that I would have needed about
60 KW to get through at that point in time! Obviously this is a worst case
comparison, but still.....

Time's getting short on this one, I'd better get real lucky real soon.

73,

Larry - W7IUV