Re: Topband: Grounding protection-Beverage?

To: "Mike Bragassa" <bragassa@consolidated.net>,topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Grounding protection-Beverage?
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:06:15 -0500
Hi Mike,

I once used preamps at all my feedpoints (20 years and two QTHs ago). Then,
after having to replace the FETs many times after storms and from TX overload,
having the boxes stolen or shot, and after some discussions with others on the
band I removed them and just feed all my Bevs now through some W8JI style
binocular transformers.

There's plenty of gain -- I rarely use a preamp or two I have in the shack.
This includes some feedlines (hardline) up to 800 feet long. I even went
without preamps at a previous QTH where I had a half-mile of feedline with 3
switched Beverages at the end of it.

I've been at this QTH for 7 years and have never had to replace a Beverage
termination here. Some are just two watt carbon reistors, others are a
combination of two or more two-watters adding up to higher power. They are just
soldered to the wires and left hanging in the open for easy inspection and
measurements. My Beverages are through the woods, so maybe the trees help
dissipate nearby lightning energy. But even the Beverages that come within 15
feet or so of a tower have not popped the terminations.

I do ground the feedline shield about 15 feet from the feedpoint, and any place
along the way there's a splice.

I don't use any special lightning protection.

73/Jon AA1K