Topband: Hazards of HV-Caps for gammas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Hazards of HV-Caps for gammas
From: df2py@t-online.de (Dr .Wolf Ostwald)
Date: 17 Dec 2004 03:44 GMT
Hi reflectees !
Although it is very interesting to hear about the many ways of making HF caps
for gamma matches, i want to bring about another consideration. Most of the
caps described are representing a big fire hazard ! Inflamable dielectrics,
like coax dielectric, circuit boards, PVC pipes etc, can arc over and then
start burning, which might ignite a nice fire in Your backyard or in the
bushes. I would strongly recommend the use of vacuum variables for that purpose
!
I have talked to people, that had partly carbonized homebrew caps, which of
course worked as spark gaps and trashed the band with a broadband hiss of
considerable strength.
I have been there and done that, as You would say, and the small investment in
a vac-C is beneficial in all aspects of good engineering.
73 de wolf  df2py