RE: Topband: Coax capacitor losses

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Coax capacitor losses
From: "R. Kline" <k7nj@zahav.net.il>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:42:30 -0700
The dissipated power in the capacitor depends upon the rf current flowing
through it. You could have a relatively low power application and still
cause significant dielectric heating. This would happen where the impedance
level is low (and therefore the current would be high).  So, although Tree's
empirical "touch" test is relevant to his application, it would be incorrect
to generalize from this that ALL uses of 1500W are OK with such capacitors.
Another thing that should be considered is that the breakdown mechanism is
not always attrributable to heating.  Dielectric materials can break down by
being over stressed by voltage without significant heating, and oftentimes,
this can be a cumulative effect - i.e. the breakdown doesn't happen
immediately and occurs only after a while. IMHO the best way to be sure that
the coaxial capacitor is being safely used is to determine that the voltage
upon it does not exceed the voltage indicated by the manufacturer's
specification for power and VSWR. If the length is not negligible, then it
will be necessary to examine the capacitor as a transmission line (which it
is).

73,

Riki, K7NJ - 4X4NJ