Re: Topband: Forbidden Frequency Part 2

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Forbidden Frequency Part 2
From: David Gilbert <rimradio@direcway.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:22:18 -0700

I mean, sure, a unique combination of mixer products, beat notes,
harmonics, etc. could conspire to make 1830khz a particularly "bad" frequency at MY QTH, but why then is it also such a bad frequency at everyone else's QTH?

At my QTH in southern Arizona I could hear those mixer products every 10 KHz across much of the 160m band, but 1820 kHz was almost always the loudest and the only one strong enough to affect even a weak contact. 1810 kHz was next in strength, with 1830 kHz lower yet. My antenna was a high dipole across a canyon (until the forest service recently made me take it down), my rig is a 756Pro, and there isn't an AM broadcast station worthy of note within 80 miles of me. The few times I listened to the mixer products in AM mode I could hear more than one modulating signal.

Dave AB7E