Topband: New Mexico conditions evening of January 7

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: New Mexico conditions evening of January 7
From: "Charles W. Shaw" <chas.shaw@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 15:21:04 +0000
Hello Topbanders!

It isn't often that those in this part of the country get to report on European openings. Last night between 0330 and 0520 (the time I had available) the spotlight came to New Mexico. I had told two friends in Europe that I would listen for them in such openings; unfortunately neither were heard. But I did find and work two new countries from this end. Signals were never loud during this time period, but it was certainly unusual to listen to operators from the other side of the Atlantic call CQ with no answers from here! I heard two other New Mexico stations making good QSO's plus stations from CO, AZ, UT, OK, TX and a few other states closer to the Great Lakes--but no east coasters.
In the order they appear on my scratch pad, I copied: LY3UM, IT9ZGY, HA5JI, YL2IX, YU7JDE, OE8SKQ, 9A2AJ, OH3S?, I2ZFD, SP7GIQ, OH1VR and G3PQA. As I said, none were loud, but ZGY was probably the best copy here. There were others that I didn't write down because I recognized the prefix and was intent on looking for the ones I has promised to look for or a possible new one. Perhaps we will get a chance again tonight. I'll be looking. Thanks to all, and 73.

Chas - N5UL
Hobbs, NM