Re: Topband: Electric Fence Noise

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Electric Fence Noise
From: "Missouri Guy, N0TT" <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 04:09:08 +0000
> >I  find an unused frequency on 2 meters and broadcast the sound
> >to my truck. Then I drive around until I find a noise that matches
> >the pattern.
>
> Neat idea, John!  Here's another. The ARRL AC Power Interference
> Book by Marv Loftness, KB7KK, observes that a source of arcing is
> much easier to DF on its VHF components. He says most power system
> EMC guys use this technique to zero in, first on the pole and then
> on the insulator or other device that is arcing.

FWIW...
What's really cool about some of the "professional" radios used to
locate RFI, is that there is a small speciallized oscilloscope built in
the radio that displays a "signature" of the noise.  As I remember it,
the LCD display shows the positive and negative cycles of a 60 hz
waveform and the operator can see the various patterns that various
noise sources make.

This really belongs on the RFI relector, but can someone elaborate
on that?  And would that same principle work with an ultrasonic
detector or would the pattern be too unreliable because of air
movement?

73,
Charlie    N0TT