Re: Topband: Magic 'T' Combiners

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>, richard@karlquist.com,Joe Wilkowski <k8fc@k8fc.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Magic 'T' Combiners
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 06:13:42 -0800 (PST)
--- Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but why can't
> two receiving antennas
> in phase simply be connected by equal lengths of
> coax and a tee?

Pete, the purists might disagree, but there is no good
reason why you can't do exactly as you said. I have
done the combining on a couple different phased RX
antennas with no more than a coax tee and they worked
exactly as they did when I bothered to use a
commercial combiner.

I suspect that any problems with phased pennants (or
any other transformer fed system) is that the
transformer phasing is incorrect. You MUST pay
attention to how you hook up the transformer leads or
you will wind up with an out-of-phase system. Only a
50-50 chance of guessing it right!

73,

Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg