Topband: Vertical antenna technical help

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Vertical antenna technical help
From: "Rick Darwicki" <n6pe@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:20:03 -0800
Can anyone help with this question regarding my vertical antenna for 160 ?

I have a Create 40/80 mounted about 20' above the ground on a metal pipe. The
antenna has two plastic insulator sleeves and is "U" bolted to the support
pipe. The support pipe is set in concrete and strapped to the eaves. Radials
fan out on the roof.

One year I tried base loading it on 160 and the Alpha 78 melted the insulators,
or at least they arced over and fried like bacon. Base loaded (new insulators)
with low power it seems to be the best antenna I can come up with, I've tried
35/90 inverted L, 35' vertical with 50' top loading wires and the B&W 30/160
dipole.

Assuming bigger is better, I can run a wire to the ground and feed the 40/80 as
a 60' vertical.

I also want to be able to use the Alpha 78 and retain 40/80 with a remote
relay. So the questions are:

1.)   If I run a wire to the ground, do I stand a better chance of not melting
the insulators if I put the 160 loading coil at the ground or at the base of
the vertical?

2.)   Would switching out all of the roof radials help reduce the potential for
arcing at the insulators?

Is there a better idea out there?

Many thanks,

Rick N6PE