Topband: Contest weekend HK1XX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Contest weekend HK1XX
From: "Jose M. Valdes R. YV5LIX" <yv5lix@cantv.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:14:08 -0000
Hello all,

I have been following with interest the reports regarding last's weekend
contest, and specially those concerning HK1XX, we are very good friends
therefore my interest.

I worked Pedro the first night at 01:50 with some difficulties, he was VY
strong 599++, as strong as YV5MBX who is close to me, but he had problems
copying me, during the QSO he apologized and mentioned that his RX antenna
was not working as expected and that the QRN/QRM was very high at his end,
he also sent a message to some DX list Saturday morning indicating this
problem and apologizing for the inconvenience.

We all know that 160 is not an easy band, we may have a very good TX antenna
and 1 KW and every one can heard us, but RX is another story, my 17 years of
experience on 160 showed me that RX is the main problem for most stations, I
still remember my first real DX on 160, on 25 January 1988 I worked Alex,
UB5ILA on CW and he was copying me very well, but I had a very tough time
getting him with 1 KW, my RX/TX antenna was just to noisy to copy any thing
but a VY strong station.

I'm sure that for the SSB contest Pedro will have his RX problem solved and
all of you will be able to work him.

73/DX Joe, YV5LIX.