Topband: Re: Butternut HF2V Configuration

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Butternut HF2V Configuration
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:38:27 -0500
> If possible, find three or four smaller value door knob capacitors
> and put them in parallel to make the same value as the original
> Butternut capacitor, then the over heating may go away and one
> may be able to operate without taking a break and may be able
> to push a KW instead of 600 watts.

I wanted to improve that also.  I called and spoke with Bob Locher, W9KNI,
at Butternut.  He said the voltage wasn't the only issue and that the N750
doorknobs would become less stable at higher power because of their
temperature rating.  He suggested not only increasing the voltage, but using
NPO-rated doorknobs.

I put a few together to come up with the same capacitance but at 30kV with
NPO doorknobs.  After that, I was able to run legal limit with no problems.

Tom, NI1N