Topband: From DU9/N0NM

To: "Topband post" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: From DU9/N0NM
From: "Jon Rudy-MCC Asia Peace Resource" <mccapr@myrealbox.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:09:14 +0800
Just when conditions are getting good on top band, my Icom 756 quit. I am
limping along with my FT-100D as exciter but the rx is far from adequate. As
I CQ I know there are stations but can not pull them out of the noise. No
AGC off on the FT100. Very thankful for the KD9SV FES/DXII that I receive
help in getting. Its now crucial in any 160 I work from now on.

Not sure if this is the reflector to do it on but if anyone has any
experience with an IC-756 (orig)I would appreciate any advice in trying to
fix it.  I accidently plugged the MFJ power supply in with only one leg on
the power cord (due to using non-grounded adapter) and very poor ground in
the house but good RF ground rod and radials, it blew the negative fuse on
the radio. Looks life I put 220 through all the grounding points to my
ground rod. After this the radio worked normally but kept shutting off
periodically and turning itself right back on. Finally it quit all together.
When I bypass the +8 and 5V relay and latch it on (which is what the power
switch does), only the LCD backlight comes on. Sometimes after a while or
couple of on/off cycles it  may turn on but continues to cycle on/off by
itself and eventually just shut off.

I have schematic and downloaded service manual but am not so good a
troubleshooter.

73...jon DU9/N0NM