Re: Topband: JA sp/lp from east coast

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: JA sp/lp from east coast
From: John Kaufmann <john.kaufmann@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 14:23:41 -0500
I dug back into the Topband Reflector archives and found these references of
mine to LP JA openings:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Topband/2000-01/msg00006.html
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Topband/2000-01/msg00002.html
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Topband/1998-01/msg00042.html

There are at least two more instances of LP JA I can recall that pre-date the
oldest Topband archives.  One was probably around 1994 (JA4CQS) and another was
in mid-January 1996, I believe (JA1HQT and/or JA1JRK).

I also have a recollection of somebody in W1 (can't remember who) hearing LP
JA's back in the mid-1980's around the sunspot minimum of that decade.

Note that in these archived posts I mentioned two broadcast beacons--Tokyo on
3925 kHz and Pyongyang, North Korea on 2850 KHz--that I've found very useful as
propagation benchmarks for the lowbands.  In my experience they correlate very
well with propagation to those areas on 80m as well as 160m.  There's also a
broadcast beacon in Singapore on 3915 kHz, which is loud on LP in W1 this time
of year around local sunset.  When these beacons get really strong, it's time
to start tuning 160 for the Far East.

73, John W1FV