Re: Topband: cone of silence COS

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "john" <ldoyle@gwi.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: cone of silence COS
From: "john battin" <jbattin@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 22:50:47 -0500
  From: john<mailto:ldoyle@gwi.net>
  To: topband@contesting.com<mailto:topband@contesting.com>
  Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:25 AM
  Subject: Topband: cone of silence COS

  Hi.. has anyone got a handle on determining the length of a single wire
beverage whereby the  length will be the correct length to be considered in the
cone of silence length???just writing the the question is confusing..John
K1GUN...

  I know there have been experiences to the contrary, but my experiments
indicate that the cone of silence lengths are in actuality adjusting the
spacing between the vertical feeds such that a null is created in a direction
that is contributing significant noise. If the noise is coming equally from all
directions, the noise contribution from the front of the antenna will mask
pick-up from the feeds and there will be little or no difference at COS lengths.
  John K9DX