Topband: Flag Supports

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Flag Supports
From: "Bill Gaines" <gaines@wcoil.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 15:30:38 -0400
use a fiberglass pole vault pole for support. These poles ( I now have at least
15 or 20)
came from my local high school over a period of a few years. It seems we have
an
excellent history of state qualifiers in the pole vault so they replace a few
each year.
It cost me more for the gas to drive there than they charge for the poles and
the
school is a few blocks away.

To mount the pennants, I take a 4' piece of inch and a half pvc pipe and drive
it into
the ground about a foot to eighteen inches the proper distance away from the
center
support. I use a piece of 2x6 over the end of the pipe and drive it in with a
sledge
hammer.  I put a bolt thru the pvc about a foot from the top to keep the
fiberglass pole
from dropping down too far. This gives me an additional two to two-and-a-half
feet of
height on the back side of the pennant. If necessary I back guy the pole with
ropes for
tension.

If you need more details I will gladly supply them off list.

Bill AD8P