Re: Topband: Wire Antenna

To: "'Topband 160'" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Wire Antenna
From: "KE5CTY Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:43:22 -0500
Thank you for your responses Gentlemen:

Here are the answers:

#24 AWG huh???
Yes
Now I also have an option of using straight rg 59 (catv coax) I didn't
mean to say rg 75 earlier I was thinking about it being 75 ohms and
mistyped

If it is not hard drawn or steel based wire, twist them all together to
make one stronger wire.
Ok

 Do not excite the small stuff with lots of RF as it will melt at the
high voltage/current locations.
OK

An Inverted-L may work, but 100 feet is a bit short for a
1/4 lambda (133 ft). You will require additional length
and/or inductance on the far end to work well.
Would the 40 Mtr traps work?

I also have two 40 meter traps waiting to be used can they add length to
the system?

Let me know what you decide upon.

Good luck, best DX.
---
---
That is a tough question.
Are you interested in stateside QSO or DX?

DX for sure :0)

 What supports do you have available?
Just 9 20' galvanized poles and some trees no more than 30 feet tall.

  How much power will you run?
I thought it would be really interesting to do QRP to start with.
----
----
We need the rest of the story.
 How much room do you have?
About 5 acres of workable space, but I am in the county and have
culverts out back so I could run into the culverts without crossing
anyone's land or roads ect.

 Towers?
NONE YET

 ground space?
About 5 acres usable space

 postage stamp lot or acres?
Not postage stamp we are in the country

Locator em12cx

 Sky hooks, like tall trees or buildings to secure an end of wire or
bottom floor of an apartment?
NONE to speak of of any real height

 24 gauge wire is small for a KW or even 100 watts.
Thinking about QRP to begin with and if it works out move up to larger
wire.

7&3 fer nw,
Bob
KE5CTY (old calls WB5ZQU - WY5L)
10X# 37210
FP#-1141
http://www.qsl.net/ke5cty/
Code may be taking a back seat for now, but the pioneering spirit that
put the code there in the first place is out front of it all.