Topband: Elevated vertical next to beverage

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Elevated vertical next to beverage
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 18:39:06 -0500
I am installing an elevated 80M vertical next to my 160M 1wL beverage antenna
(like within 75').  It's the only place I can locate it on the property that
makes sense.  Having played with other antennas near my 160M bi-directional
beverage, I know that this one is going to ruin my otherwise good pattern on
the beverage, which I cannot move.

Previously, I had a ground mounted antenna within 50' of the beverage.
Removing the antenna did not help.  I had to disconnect the buried radials to
get the pattern to return to normal.  So now I have a conundrum.  Do I install
relays at the antenna so that the entire system can be disconnected when I
operate 160M?  The antenna and it's radials are to be elevated 8' above ground,
which ON4UN states is about as good as it gets (2.5 meters).  4 radials will be
used--two of which will be within feet of the beverage.  Even though I will be
able to disconnect (open) the antenna remotely, do I have to also be able to
remotely disconnect the radials too?

Anybody have previous experience with this?

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com