Re: Topband: Folded Marconi Antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Folded Marconi Antenna
From: John Irwin <crazytvjohn@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:12:08 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Kevin

Today I put a folded Marconi antenna on the air on 40 meters. The unit is fully
vertical made out of #14 insulated house wire spaced 3". I feed my antenna with
rg6u.    I found out about my antenna in a book by Bill Orr called vertical
antenna where this antenna and several simular antenni are described in some
detail.  Also the radio handbook by Bill Orr shows this antenna for 160 and 80
meters made out of twin lead.    This is a half wave antenna folded back on
itself, a quarter wave high.  The far end is grounded at the feed point, and
one should use radials.  He claimed the radiation resistance is 60 ohms.  Shown
also in the arrl handbook in the quarter wave verticals section ,1 of the 4
antennas pictured.  The arrl picture shows it having a 150 ohm feed point.
There is also a 3 wire version.
hope this helps you

john kb9tc