Re: Topband: Ferrite Rods for Common mode choke?

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Ferrite Rods for Common mode choke?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:19:44 -0500
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:48:23 +0200, Raoul Coetzee wrote:

>I have quite a few ferrite rods, the type used for loop stick antennas in
>portable radios, and was wondering if it could be used as a common mode
>choke if a bunch of them could be arranged  around a co-ax cable so that it
>forms a 'pipe'
>around the co-ax with no gaps between them?

Depending on the material and the frequency you need to suppress, it may be
possible to use the parts you have effectively. See my applications note on
this topic on my website, then try to find data on the rods you have to get
some idea about what impedances they might provide.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/Ferrites-Ham.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC