Topband: [Fwd: Re: 160 dipole on 80 & 40]

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: [Fwd: Re: 160 dipole on 80 & 40]
From: herbs@surfvi.com
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:34:14 -0400

Dick Duccini wrote:

>>Help - I'm trying to use my 160 dipole on 40 & 80 but I'm
>>
>unable to tune
>
>>it to any kind of resonance.  It's about 260 feet end to
>>
>end, center fed
>
>>with 450 ohm ladder line then to a Nye Viking tuner.

Dick,

 I have read the several posts regarding you feeding problem on 40 and
80 and hereis a simple fix.  I had a similar problem with a over the
counter tuner with limited impedence range. What I did was to short the
open wire feed line at transmit end with a knife switch and tap up on
the feedline with another piece of ladder line (using insulation
piercing alligator clips) until I found an impedence in the ranger of
the tuner.  Also found that I could ground shorted connection for
discharge protection and still get a good match. Somewhere along the
feedline you will find a reasonable impedance in the range of your
tuner.  You might even find 50 ohms, 200 ohms or whatever.  The closed
stub match information and theory is found in most antenna handbooks.
 It is a great problem solver and easier to use then cutting gobs of
ladder line in pieces.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

----- End forwarded message -----

----- End forwarded message -----