Topband: VQ9LA

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: VQ9LA
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:23:58 -0400
        I was listening to S58A tonight and about
fell out of my chair when VQ9LA called Boris with
a FB 579 signal!  After their QSO I asked Boris
to tell Larry he was readable here.  I was very
surprised but Larry was able to copy me and
W8JI although he could not hear others calling
from VE1 and Maine.

        Larry had to QRT for work at 0005z
but says he can normally be on before his
sunrise (about 0045z now) on Tuesdays and
Wednesdays (Mon and Tues evenings in NA).
Look for him and hopefully the good conditions
will hold.

        Larry said he copied me on his TX
antenna since a bucket truck trimming the
palms destroyed his Beverage.  I'm sending
him a new transformer and termination and he
will work on getting his Beverage back up.  I
also suggested the Par Electronics BCI filter
recommended on the reflector previously:

http://www.parelectronics.com/swl_filters.htm

If Larry cannot get his club to spring for this,
I told him we could probably collect donations
for one here.  Dale Parfitt W4OA can custom
tune one to better reject the 1485 kHz BC
station on Diego Garcia.

        Good luck to all and hopefully Larry
will be able to hear many of you.

                        73,  Bill  W4ZV